What is a C permit?
Home > FAQ > General questions > C permit

A C permit is a permanent residence permit. It is valid for as long as you remain in Switzerland. It has almost no restrictions and enables you to do many things not possible with B permits such as buying real estate without restrictions, moving from one canton to another, buying weapons, becoming self-employed, etc...

Depending on your citizenship, you can obtain a C permit after 5 or 10 years of residence with a B permit.

Please note that if you are a citizen from a EU country, the B permit category "EC" that you will receive gives you almost the same benefits as the C permit. The only extra right you will get when you obtain the C permit after 5 years is the right to vote on local issues in some cities and that of buying firearms.

The information contained in this website is not meant to substitute qualified legal advice given by a specialist knowing your particular situation. We can accept no responsibility for the consequences of decisions made following information found on this website. Micheloud & Cie is not a bank and neither sollicits nor accepts deposits. Currency conversion and interest rates provided on this website are listed for informational purpose only and may not be up-to-date. More >>

© Micheloud & Cie 2009      Tel. ++41 21 331 48 48  info@live-in-switzerland.com. No part of this site may be reproduced in any form or by any means without our prior written permission. Printed from http://live-in-switzerland.com/e/faq/c-permit.html